Wednesday 31 January 2007

Working in _______ has really been a rollercoaster ride. A monstrous ride not for the faint-hearted.

In the beginning, i was real excited about getting on the ride. I wanted to feel good. I thought it would be a good experience. Like a kid ready to ride on a rollercoaster for the 1st time, i was inexperienced and was anxious to find out what was in store for me.

I got onto the rollercoaster early & found some time to talk to the other people on the ride.. the people who would experience the same feelings as i would during the ride.. My colleagues. These people were about my age.. some slightly older. We got along well.

Finally, after about 1 month (of training), we were officially on board. Start of the ride. I felt really uneasy at 1st 'cos i was new. I was unsure of many things. Left some customers dissatisfied with my service. I felt nauseous. Things got a little better but i still felt far from good. I could take it no more. I couldn't keep it all in me. I vomited. I started pouring out my problems to my colleagues. They were new to the ride as well, but their initial reaction wasn't as bad as mine. They told me that things would get better & encouraged me to stay on the ride. And so i did.

Things did get better. Served some really appreciative customers with pleasure. This was when the rollercoaster was on the way up. With each happy customer, the rollercoaster went higher & higher. I felt happy. I wanted the rollercoaster to keep going higher. But it had to go in the reverse direction at some point. One difficult customer was all it took. It's funny how it takes many happy customers to make one feel good but only one nasty customer to reverse the situation. When the rollercoaster was on the way down, i screamed. "Ahhhhhhh!" The rollercoaster was going up, the next moment it was going down. Likewise, my smile had turned into a frown.

Soon, i became used to the nature of the rollercoaster ride. I experienced the ups & downs far too many times. I was numb. But i still felt sick. The rollercoaster kept going around the same track & everything seemed uninteresting. It was a case of knowing what was gonna happen next. I wanted to get off the ride. But the rollercoaster just wouldn't stop for me to get off. I accepted my fate & told myself that the ride would be over real soon.

Where am i now? I'm still on the ride. I'm complaining less, and i'm starting to see my colleagues crack under stress. They're experiencing what i experienced earlier, just that i started early. Now, i'm fine. Some colleagues are talking about leaving for another ride. But i guess we're all in this together & we're sticking up for each other. About one more month till the end of the ride. I can do it.

No comments: