Saturday 10 February 2007

I Believe You
Chapter 9

Sometimes, I thought, strange things happen. For the past few years after my mum’s demise, I had not celebrated my birthday. I would spend the day daydreaming or watching television. Landy does know when my birthday is, but strangely, she never once made an effort to celebrate it with me. However, this year, it was special. I had gone to school as usual, absorbed in the lecturer’s droning voice and immersed in the countless tutorials. When school ended though, Jacky came forward. He was half smiling and not looking into my eyes. This was the first time I saw embarrassment in his expression. “Hi, Joanna, well…” he zipped opened his bag and took out a wrapped box. It was rather small and the wrapping was done exquisitely. A red ribbon was tied on top. “Happy Birthday.” He said, and with two hands, passed me the box.I took a step back, inspected the box and then eyed him. A long period of silence went by. Jacky’s head was still hanging low. After a few seconds, he bit his teeth and whispered, “Take it, quick! I’m going to pee if you don’t take it!” Finally I took the present. “Thanks.” I said. It was very light and the box was hard. It had to be plastic. “I’ve got to go.” He said and went off, leaving me alone with the box. “I’m not embarrassed! I’m really not embarrassed! I just need to pee! Just, just wear it everyday!” he yelled as he was far away from me.I went home and with Landy, we opened the present. It was a branded watch. From then on, I wore the watch almost every time I went out. It had become part of my life. That silly guy. What’s there to be embarrassed about?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jacky accompanied me when I went for my next appointment with Dr. Ong. “How was the therapy with Mr. Kam?” Dr. Ong asked. “I cursed him.” Dr. Ong did not seem worried. He wrote something on his file. “Good for you. Okay, I remember you once said you’ve got a best friend called Landy who is immune to your curse?” I nodded. “Can you get her to meet me next time?” “I don’t think there’s a need-” “Doctor’s order. It will help, a lot. Alright?” Reluctantly, I nodded. When I told Jacky about it, he said he was eager about meeting Landy as well. And I felt something. Like a little anger directed at Landy.Was that feeling… jealousy?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When more strange things happened, I knew somehow or other that my life had changed. On one of those days, I woke up very early in the morning. Having nothing to do, I took out almost every scrap of food in the refrigerator. Then I took wholemeal bread and began to make a sandwich with all the trimmings. I completed my ten-centimetre-high sandwich after fifteen minutes and packed it into a plastic bag. At lunch break that day, after Jacky and I had finished our meals, I passed him the sandwich. “You made it?” I nodded, not looking at him. But I was curious to see what his expression was, so I stole a quick look at him, and my eyes never left his then. His eyes were red. He was munching on the sandwich as if it was some expensive food from a classy restaurant. He then folded the plastic bag into a nice shape and kept looking at me. “Is it nice?” I asked. “Too nice.” He said, and suddenly I could hear his breathing. He was blinking a lot faster, as if to combat any tears. “Too nice.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
“You made a sandwich for him? But you’re such a lousy cook! I mean, two months ago, you tried cooking instant noodles with egg and you didn’t even bother to crack open the egg. Wait a moment.” Landy said, leaning forward to me. I could not tell whether she was serious or not. “Did you actually use bread to make the sandwich? Or did you use sand instead?” I pushed her away and I laughed. It felt so good to laugh. “Bread. And yeah, by the way, Dr. Ong wanted to see you.” “Me?” Landy crossed and uncrossed her legs a few times. “Why me?” “I don’t know. You’re my best friend. My only friend. Maybe that’s why.” “Can I… not go?” “Come on, go. You’ll be able to see Jacky.” “Arh. Jacky here, Jacky there.” Landy said, stuffing her mouth with a few Mentos sweets. “Alright then, I’ll go for you. Tell me, is that… Dr. Ong handsome? Is he married?” “He’s single and available. He has a body of steel and a nuclear-powered mind. But be careful: He’s spent his campus life learning how to read people’s minds. You won’t wanna play with his heart.” “I love challenges.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I was having my breakfast that day in school with Jacky beside me when my phone rang. Glancing around to make sure no lecturers were around, I took out my phone. It was an unknown number. It was a nurse from Child’s Guidance Clinic. After confirming my identity, she said, “You’ve got an appointment with Mr. Kam this afternoon, right?”“Yes.” I said, and looked at Jacky. He had stopped chewing and was darting his eyes at me. Mr. Kam was the therapist I had cursed not too long ago.“Mr. Kam is on long term M.C. He’ll be back next month. I’ve checked with Dr.Ong, your doctor. He said he’d get another therapist for you. You have an appointment with Dr. Ong tomorrow, right? He’ll brief you on that.”I nodded at the phone. I had been expecting this. Jacky’s mouth was wide open, trying to read something from my expression. I must be frowning. “And yes, Dr. Ong reminded you to bring your friends along.” “Friends?” I asked. I thought it was just Landy? “Yes, that’ll be… Miss Landy and Mr. Jacky.” Oh. Jacky is just a friend. “I will. Will do. Thanks.” After I had told Jacky everything, he shrugged and then smiled. “Dr. Kam must have a very high fever.” “He broke his arm.” “The nurse said that?” “No, I didn’t ask-” “Then let’s just presume he had a very very high fever, alright?” Jacky agrued. “Please, Joanna. Mr. Kam had a very high fever. Come on, repeat after me. Mr. Kam had a very high-” “-fever.” I said, feeling like a primary school child. “No, you must read after me. Mr. Kam had a very high fever. Come on.” “Mr. Kam had a very high fever.” I said. Then I realized something.When I was with Jacky, I felt like a child in a nursery. And he, he was not the teacher, nor the fellow children. He was the big brother who always stood outside the window, smiling, encouraging and giving me tips. And throughout the whole day, I would be staring at the window, wondering when I would be able to be with him again. Oh shit. What am I thinking?

No comments: