Sunday 8 April 2007

I Believe You
Chapter 20

I stroked his hand softly, feeling the warmth. This is another dream, isn’t it? The images are so clear: I can feel the beads of sweat on my forehead. There are so many colours. Jacky had just opened his eyes.

I heard voices when I was sleeping. I thought the voices were just part of my dream, but the voices in my dream sounded so real, yet the images in it looked so hazy. Now, as I rubbed my eyes, both the voices and images were real. This is definitely not a dream.

“Talk to me.” I said, my voice a bit dry.

“Hey, hello to my girl, Joanna.” His voice rang again, louder this time. His eyes were half-closed and he was smiling. “Where’s my peeled apple?”

I could feel my mouth opening wide and my throat choking with phlegm. I wanted to jump onto him, giving him the hug of his life. But if I really do that, he may plunge back into a coma again.

“You idiot.” I whispered, toying with his fingers. “You idiot, do you know your mum was going to let you go if you had decided to wake up tomorrow? Do you know, huh? Why don’t you just go to hell?”

Jacky laughed weakly. “I choose my dates carefully.”

“You sure do.”

“Like, when I was in Secondary One, I chose Candy Tzu as my date. When I was in Secondary Two, I chose Ru Hua. Well, When I was in Secondary Three-”

“Not funny.” I cut in.

“In Secondary Three, I chose Joanna Fung, and I’ll make her my date forever.”


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


When I first saw my grandmother’s photo in her funeral, I squeezed Jacky’s hand tight. I did not shed any tears. I just stared, and stared, and stared.

My grandmother had passed away peacefully two weeks before my A Levels. Initially, when I saw her lying on the sofa, I thought she was just resting. I went forward, wanting to wake her up. It was then I realised she was smiling but her eyes were closed.

When I noticed that she was not breathing, I did not call the ambulance instantly. Instead, I paced up and down, and finally, I called Jacky. Until now, the cause of her death is still unknown. It seemed to be of old age.

“You’re a strong girl.” Jacky said to me.

There were less than ten people attending the funeral, and I felt sad for my grandmother. Still, I did not cry.

“Come on, sit down. I’ve got something to tell you.” Jacky said, motioning to a chair. When I settled down, he passed me a packet of drink. “Remember the letter I wrote for you? I asked my mother to pass it to you if I were in a coma.”

I nodded.

“Well, I did say something about an old lady in your void deck, giving me some advice on love right? That love is either yes, or no. There’re no other excuses.”

My heart skipped a beat. My grandmother had told me that before, and Jacky had heard this from some old lady near my void deck.

“Your grandmother was the old lady.”

Now I really felt like crying. Firstly, my grandmother became my chat mate. Then she became my advisor. And now I discovered she had also contributed to bringing me Jacky.

Ironically, Jacky had brought me my grandmother and my grandmother had brought me Jacky.

“Now, look here.” Jacky pointed to my left. I turned my head and wheezed. It was the old man in the park at the hospital who had given me the advice of love as well.

“What the…”

The old man was staring at my grandmother’s coffin with teary eyes. After a while, he said something to himself and went off.

“Ours is not the saddest story in the world. There’re so many stories going on. Ours is just one of the many.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi emm, do i have the permission to copy the last 3 chapters of I believe you to my blog?

Anonymous said...

Hi ~

thanks for sharing such a nice story ~ especially e last 3 chapters.. Cos its not posted online =) hehe

o7r10iansrocks said...

is the old man the grandfather of joanna or something?

Anyway,thanks for the posts of the chapters!its great!

Shufen said...

Thanks for sharing the chapters! (:
By the way, can you upload chapters 12 - 15 too? (:

Anonymous said...

Hi dere, tats a very nice story. ermm may i noe where to get tat song?

Anonymous said...

hi.. thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us.. thanks a lot.. ^_^

Remedy said...

nice story , really cried .
tys for sharing this nice story (:

Anonymous said...

hey..who is that old man..
anyway thanks for posting.. :)

YINGsquaredd (: said...

Hi! thanks for sharing this touching story in your blog! Just asking for permission, cos i'd like to share in mine too. (: Thanks.

SassyBabe said...

I totally love this story. I told it to my best friends and they just happened to be Joanna and Jacky. ;P